An OSU contractor performing tests for a “geotechnical drilling project” near a natural gas regulator on Lane Avenue broke the gas line, said Dave Isaacs, spokesman for Student Life. The line broke at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
“They were testing for geothermal today, so we knew they’d be drilling. But they somehow messed it up,” said Stephanie Giese, OSU employee and resident of a university-owned apartment building on Lane Avenue.
Around 4:30 p.m. January 9, a contractor cracked a gas line on North Campus. The first story was written in two hours after Lantern campus editor Kristin Mitchell called me with the assignment. There really wasn't much to see or hear, but the next day brought more information.
The most interesting part of this story turned out to be completely unrelated. A fire alarm caused the evacuation of Nosker House at 12:40 a.m. on January 10. Some of the students there had heard rumors that there was a gas line break in Nosker, and reported weird smells. Even some of the hall staff mentioned it to me. But the smell was a false lead. Apparently Nosker is a smelly dorm.